Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm ripping up my degree, I think it would be more useful recycled and used as toilet paper

12 hours after arriving in Perth, I was offered a job and started on the spot, then I quit 3 hours later. The job was, what I thought would be perfect. Tour consultant at Discover West Holidays. They offered me the job on the spot which made it hard to refuse and asked me to start training right away. They then told me I could only wear black, white, beige and navy to work..even though I would have no customer contact. Apparently what I was wearing looked like I was on holiday! (I don't think these people know how to holiday). I hated it already. And then, I'm told we can't even have our cellphones on in the building...what about the lunch room?? Where is the trust in your employees??

I thought about it over lunch. My neck was already sore from sitting on my ass all morning. The pay was crap and it would take me 1 1/2 hours to get to work every day. BUT This job COULD be good for my career, right? But whats the point in being unhappy in a job that is only going to lead me to another, maybe higher payed and respected, but boring job in every way. I decided right there and then, I just cannot work in an office anymore.

So now I have no flippen idea what to do with my life. But it feels kind of good to be lost. At least it means theres lots of things to find! Good or bad...

I decided I need to do something on my feet, talking to people. Mainly because thats what I liked about working for ISV. First thing that comes to mind - retail.

But then I have a moral dillemma. I'm trying to become less materialistic, and would love others to be the same. Thats not really retail in a nutshell..

However, I don't have time for moral dilemmas, I'm running out of money, and I need a fun job to do. Fast!

Anyway, I've landed a job as Assistant Manager for Roger David which is a rather flash mens store in Aussie. The Manager is so lovely so I'm sure I will enjoy working with her. Its in a mall only 15 mins up the road, and the hours are good. It means I can be on my feet bouncing around all day talking to random people, yay!

Oh, but disapointment! Its rained 2 days since I got here! Come on Perth mr sunniest city in the world! Actually, I'm not complaining, I did get to spend an hour on the beach the other day. Plan to do that everyday after work alllll summer! You jelous? huh? You better be!!

1 comment:

Family Home - 5 Sowman St said...

Hey Emily,
I'm curious as to the inner workings of Discover West. We are kiwis who booked with them for a Perth holiday and have had no end of problems with service and refunds. The accommodation was fine - just DW ruined things. Are they a big staff or just family and a few wage slaves? We are thinking of lodging an action with WA tourism to protect other kiwis from the likes of DW - Cheers Kiwi battlers