Friday, July 18, 2008

Chiang Mai - Almost disasters and Night Markets

We left Kachanaburi about midday on the 13th, a little later than we planned. After a while we started to wonder if we were on the right bus because not once did we see a sign for Bangkok. Time was getting on and we had a plane to catch. It got to the point when we really thought we were going to miss the plane (first almost disaster). It was a stressful hour but to get through it Dionne and I pretended we were on the 'Amazing Race' and we made it just in time! Actually, we even had enough time to stuff our faces with Onion Rings and Hash Browns from Burger King at the airport. Yuk, we regretted that soon after.

We arrived in Chiang Mai and Ingrid was waiting for us at Julies Guest House. The hostel is really sweet and funky and uber cheap. It's really popular, there are tons of people every morning waiting outside for people to check out so they can check in!!

Within the first 6 hours of being in Chiang Mai I already had sore feet from shopping! The Sunday Walking Street market was on and my god was it cheap. If you've ever been to the Night Bazaar, the Sunday market is even CHEAPER! I felt as though I was robbing people as I bought an Elephant necklace for 10baht (about 30cents). So Dionne and I went a little crazy and bought a HEAP of stuff, really cool t-shirts and jewelery and bags and dresses. My backpack is officially packed to the brim.

At the night bazaar the next night Dionne found an artist to paint a photo of her and Nautee (the girl at the orphanage). We gave him my camera memory card to download the picture, and when I returned the card to my camera the photos weren't showing, there was an ERROR! (almost disaster number 2!) Obviously I had a heart attack and to cut a long story short my memory card is a bit screwed for now but the guys computer still had the photos and we managed to get them off there thank GOD!

Speaking of photos I have been TRYING to upload them but it takes too much time so...be patient :)

No comments: